Going Hammer and Tong Courses – Beginners
These pure artisan courses are for beginners interested in delving into the art of traditional Blacksmithing and are limited to 8 students – We start the day in the Blacksmith Shop at 9.30am sharp in Wildes Meadow, Southern Highlands at the 1910 Ironworks.
Here you will learn how to use and control a traditional coke fire, taught basic forging, hammer and tong skills in a traditional 19th Century Village Blacksmith Shop. We’ll also cover basic forging techniques, such as nail making, forging a meat skewer or poker and forging an ‘S’ hook in our full on 5 hour workshop. The session finishes at 3pm with half an hour for lunch*.
All equipment, safety gear, apron, tools and materials will be supplied, all you have to do is to bring your passion and enthusiasm on the day.
Please note *A light lunch and refreshments are inclusive and served on the veranda of the Blacksmith Shop.
You also get to meet other people passionate about this ancient craft and take home your pieces forged on the day.
- 9.30am arrive at Blacksmith shop/OH&S work practices/equipment issued.
- 10am, formed into teams we start forging. Fire control/tool usage, nail making/’S’ hook and or Meat Skewer.
- 12.30pm – Light lunch and refreshments.
- 1pm we continue forging until 2.30pm when we review the work and clear up the shop after the day.
- The all inclusive cost is $240 per student plus GST. Payable prior to the class and is only refundable if the class, for what ever reason does not proceed.
These sessions fill fast, as they are small and very hands on. So, it’s first in to secure a place in these classes.
Scheduled Courses as of January 2018 :-
- Saturday 3rd March 2018 – Beginners Part 1
- Saturday 7th April 2018 – Beginners – Part 2 – Upsetting, Drawing out, Scroll work and twisting.
- Saturday 5th May 2018 – Intermediate – Part 1 – Forge welding, basket twist, hot and cold cutting, splitting and forging.
Payment options, EFT and Paypal – these details will be emailed to you on confirmation of your email booking.
Hopefully we’ll see you going hammer and tongs in February! Cheers, Steve.